Friday, January 28, 2011

TOO MANY BOOKS; NOT ENOUGH TIME


Most writers are avid readers–or should be. As Stephen King says, “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time or tools to write.”

But with all the books out there, how do you get people to choose your book?

Think about how you choose a book to buy, or borrow, and read. A recommendation from a friend? A book that’s already a bestseller? A book that a recognized reviewer said was a great read? To impress your friends? Price? You liked the cover? A book by your favorite author? To study how a great/popular writer does it? You need the information? You trust the publisher? None of the above?

Next week, we’ll blog about how readers (as opposed to libraries and bookstores) really do choose what books to buy. We've got ideas, but you can help us refine them by completing our poll in the right-hand column. In the meantime, remember that you are not alone–millions of readers/book buyers must decide what books to buy, just like you.

Your job–and ours if you’re one of our authors–is to help them choose your book.

Sheryl J. Dunn, Founder and CEO for Shelfstealers, wrote this post, and takes full responsibility for its content, typos, lack of clarity, tone, boredom-quotient, and lack of originality.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to find Shelfstealers--even after believing it was a band of book thieves a la Hoffman's "Steal this Book"! I like the concept and the attitude. I'll be following your development and would like to submit a manuscript or two in the nearest future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to 1st Turning Point, I found this site. I be hanging around a bit even though I don't have anything available to submit yet. [Have to wait until I get rejected.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, I laughed when I saw your comment about waiting to be rejected.

    It surely is difficult these days to tweak enough interest in agents and the major publishers, but if you're fortunate enough to receive actual feedback when your project is rejected, take it to heart and really think about it.

    I say "when your project is rejected" because it's exceedingly rare for a project to be accepted on the first submission. Keep on pluggin'.

    Now, I have to get back to rejecting submissions myself--I'm behind, and I don't like to keep people waiting too long.

    Cheers,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete